Sponsors

When two opposites meet, one wants noodles the other wants a sandwich. Put them together and you have a perfect meal.

E KOMO MAI and Be Happy


You are NOT "Just a Mother"

“How do we get women to stop saying, ‘I’m just a mother.’ Or, ‘I used to be such and such, but now I’m just a mother?” (from “First Lady Maria Shriver-Her New Life,” The Oprah Winfrey Show, April 29, 2004)
I too am guilty of this. I have often made a point to make known that I “used to teach elementary school before I started having children.” I didn’t know that I had an unknown fear of “just being a mother.” I guess I feared that my important independent woman identity before children would vanish.
This past month I’ve been thinking a lot about being a stay-at-home mother, a homemaker, or a house wife. Is there anything wrong about it? I’ve was privileged to go to a Mother’s conference that was put on by Hawaii Association of American Mothers Inc. As this year’s mother of the year, Ileen Barlow spoke to all the mothers in attendance, one thing stood out to me. She mentioned that it was when her children became teenagers that they needed her the most at home, that it was the commute home from school that they would share most of their feelings and problems that were going on in their lives. I then realized that now, when my babies are little is when I am able to start opening that special line of communication with them. So that my children always know that Mommy IS listening to them and that they are always able to trust me. This is just one of the important reasons I have chosen to be a stay-at-home mom. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong about staying home to care for your children, your husband, and your home!
Just this past week I was asked over the phone, “What is your occupation?” I happily answered with no hesitation, “A Mommy!” So all you mommies out there, you are not “just a Mother,” you are the world to those beautiful children of yours. AND you are doing a fabulous job! Now go and eat some ice cream! Have a wonderful month being Mommies!

1 comment:

  1. Being a wife and mother has been my "work" for the past 32 years. Would I have done anything different? Short of wasting less time and saving more money, no. Sometimes it wasn't easy but these four people, my husband, two daughters and son, have been my heart. Now my heart is opening wider for a son and daughter-in-law and three little sweethearts, my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete