Sponsors

When two opposites meet, one wants noodles the other wants a sandwich. Put them together and you have a perfect meal.

E KOMO MAI and Be Happy


Aaaaah! Toilet Training!!!!

Being a Mommy is not an easy task. If there was one thing I could take out of parenting, it would be TOILET TRAINING. Want to loose weight? Toilet train. You’ll be running back and forth to the bathroom all day long, hoping that something will trickle out of your child’s bottom. Want to learn the best techniques to clean soiled spots on carpets and clothes? Toilet train, there will be lots of accidents. Want to learn patience? Toilet train, it can go on forever.

Currently I am STILL toilet training my second child, Zaya. It now seems like it has been going on and off for the past year. I started while I was pregnant with baby Kyra, (Kyra is now 6 months old.) but gave up to obvious reasons of difficulty bending and squatting to help Zaya on her little, low potty. About three weeks ago Zaya had a yucky tummy that caused a bad rash. Instead of telling me that she had dirtied her diaper, she would run away and hide because it hurt a lot when I had to change her. This would only cause the rash to get worse. Changing her diaper became a battle with a kicking and screaming session with me getting hurt. Fed up I told her, “That’s it, no more diapers. You have to wear panties and use the toilet.” For the rest of the day she did. WOW! “I did it,” I thought.

Well, the yucky tummy ended and so did using the toilet. Back to me, “trying” to toilet train. Then one day Zaya decides she doesn’t want to wear a diaper. Without me knowing she takes off her clean, dry diaper, throws it in the trash can, just like I taught her, and pulls on her pull-up. Not too long after that I find out she did a stinky in the pull-up. I get mad and give her the lecture, “Why did you take off the diaper and put on the pull-up? Pull-ups cost more money than diapers! That’s it, no more panties for you! Only diapers!” I put the clean, dry diaper found in the trash back on her. The rest of the day, she tells me when she has to go to the toilet and the diaper stays dry. Zaya has finally decided that she wants wear panties all the time.

Lesson learned: Child #1, bribing works. (Candy got him to use the toilet.) Child #2 reverse psychology is the key. What will Child #3 be like? My hope is she’ll train herself. J Every child is different and we got to figure out how to treat each child differently to get the best results. I always say, parenting is the hardest experiment ever! May the force be with you as you try out different hypotheses too.

No comments:

Post a Comment