Sponsors

When two opposites meet, one wants noodles the other wants a sandwich. Put them together and you have a perfect meal.

E KOMO MAI and Be Happy


UKUS aka Head Lice

My Facebok post two days ago.

The joys of motherhood...Guess what joy this is, our schedule for tomorrow...

*wash all linens & clothes in hot water & drier 20min
*stuffed animals in garbage bags for 2 weeks.
(guessed yet?)
*vacuum carpet & car
*soak combs, brushes, hair stuff in hot water/alcohol/ or bleach.
(got it now?)
*Wash all 5 heads with RID
*Very fine tooth comb.

I am grateful for a job I just got that I can easily cancel to deal with the joys of motherhood. 


I found this information plus more at this website:  Kids Health

Why in the world would I want to post about Ukus (the Hawaiian term for head lice)?  One because I learned a lot of good information from my Facebook friends that I want to remember and try for the next time (I really doubt, this will be the last time since baby #5 still has yet to experience it) and I figured someone else may also need this information soon.  

When I saw the uku eggs in my daughter's hair I decided to keep all my kids home from school the next day for two reasons.  
1.  My kids like each other and play with each other a lot so the boys had a very good chance of having ukus or getting it so I better treat all of them.
2.  There was a lot to do and the more kids helping to get it all done sounded like a great plan to me.

I slept in a bit cause I honestly didn't want to start.  So I said a prayer for strength.  That's all I kept praying for was strength to make it through my day.  Then I called my OBGYN to make sure the uku medicine was okay for me to use while pregnant.  Next I called our pediatrician for 2 reasons to see if I could get free uku medicine with our health insurance (never hurts to ask) and to see if the medicine was okay for me to use.  I asked both for an opinion to make me feel better and I didn't know who would respond first.  Happily both Doctors said I'd be okay to use the uku medicine while pregnant AND I my insurance DID cover the uku medicine!!!

I started by washing the bed sheets & linens because I knew this would take ALL day.  Then bagged the stuffed animals & small pillows.  I also had the girls bag their baribies & hair stuff that I couldn't wash and anything else I didn't want to wash.  Hee hee.

CVS Lice Removal Combs & Magnifying GlassBy then I finally got my answers from the Doctors, went to the store, got the medicine & bought a lice removal comb.  The free comb that comes with the medicines are JUNK.  Susan DeJarnatt suggested to buy a pet flea comb--i.e. the ones they sell for dogs and cats.  I never thought of that but I think it is a great idea!  Came home made lunch then decided it was finally time to tackle their hair!!!  My husband surprised me by coming over and helping take those gross little bugs and eggs out of the children's hair.  They complain a LOT less with Daddy yanking on their hair.  

The bugs didn't die with the medicine unless I didn't put enough but the comb did pretty good.  It took out a ton of ukus most of them still alive and eggs.  We used coconut oil to detangle and comb easier through the girls hair.  But I found out today I still missed some.  :(  When I did my oldest son's hair and found more ukus there I was so grossed out that I didn't bother checking my youngest's hair, I just shaved it right off.  Problem solved!  :)

Lastly we did all the vacuuming.  Just in case we flung some ukus around while trying to get them out of their hair.  Happily I got extra help here too from the sister missionaries!

Other great suggestions from friends that I probably rather do next time or you can try this time:

*They say if you add tea tree oil to your shampoo it will ward off these uninvited visitors.  I also got the Garnier Fructis Miracle Dry Oil that my girlfriend swears by.  I spray it on my daughter's hair after she bathes. -Sweetie Abreu

*Desert Essence Therapeutic Treatment (it's a body & hair care product) is a natural shampoo that you can use & will get rid of lice...it's a great shampoo, especially for long thick hair!  It already has Tea Tree Oil in their formula. -Keiko Casper

(I personally am allergic to tea tree oil aka melaleuca oil and am scared of trying these options on myself.  Sad because this oil is actually really good!)

*Olive oil worked for us. -Aunty Michele Nakayama

*doTERRA solution:  Dilute one of these oils eucalyptus, TerraShield, rosemary, melaleuca, geranium, lemon, or lavender (about 1-2 drops of essential oils with 1-3 teaspoons of pure vegetable oil such as coconut oil).  Then rub 1-2 drops into the scalp three times a day, and apply to feet.



*Lisa shared the Nuvo Treatment Method with me using Cetaphil & a blow dryer!  It worked for her.  :)


*When RID didn't work for Lisa Singh,  Koodies shampoos did.  She got the big green bottle from Kaiser Pharmacys for about $15 and it went a long way.

Many different methods.  Hope one of these are to your liking and works for you!  Good luck!  BUT I really do hope your home isn't visited by these unwanted guests!!!  ;)


1 comment:

  1. No reason to do anything you did to get rid of head lice. All you need to do is comb with a good metal lice comb and wash any clothes or towels you have used for the last 24 hours. Vacuum where they sit to watch TV or play, and where they sit in the car. Bagging and washing everything you own is unnecessary. If you want more science based information to my website headliceguru.com and read my blog. Call anytime for advice. Us moms need to stick together! Keep combing! ~Kelly@headliceguru.com

    ReplyDelete