Sponsors

When two opposites meet, one wants noodles the other wants a sandwich. Put them together and you have a perfect meal.

E KOMO MAI and Be Happy


He Makes Me Complete


"Opposites attract" is a common phrase and most times, very true. Yes, my husband and I do have very important common ground that keeps us together like both being from Hawaii, have the same religion, like to have friends and family over at our home, desire to have children, and future goals. But if you really get to know us we are total opposites.



About me...I'm a city girl. Born in the country but from the age of one I've lived in Honolulu, mostly in apartments. My husband, Kahana, he sometimes likes to think he's from the city but most of his life he was raised in Hilo on the Big Island, where the only escalator is found in the airport.


I am a very "good girl," "L7," "Molly Mormon," scared to do anything "wrong." I think you got the idea. Kahana likes to put things to the test and push his limits, he's a "touch the fire to see if it is hot" kind of guy.


He LOVES the ocean and can't stay away. He loves to surf, body board, stand-up paddle board, and dive. His confidence in the water always amazes me. Me on the other end, I love looking at the ocean but much rather stay on land or in a boat. I prefer not to get in the deep water for fear of drowning. I live life to stay alive, so I avoid anything that I may get hurt from. Kahana thinks jumping off waterfalls, having close encounters with sharks, and getting slammed into the reef, are things worth living for.


I could go on and on about how opposite and different we are. After being married a few years I began to realize that being so different from my husband is a good thing. If I married someone just like me, life would be really boring! I also began to see how my imperfections were a lot of my husband's strengths. For example:


I love money. I like to hold, smell, and always have money on hand. Kahana grew up fearing money. (Why? We are still trying to figure that out.) So yes, I am the one that deals with the money in our family and we always talk before making a "Big Buy." Along with money, if I don't think we have enough for us, I get very stingy and greedy. Kahana is a very generous guy and will give to those in need if we have extra of anything to share. He helps me keep my eyes open on what is really important in life.


I focus on details and can get all wrapped up in the details that I have a hard time focusing on the goal. Kahana sees the goal and charges. Example: Our family wants to go to the beach. I make sure we have towels, sunscreen, water, something to eat, toys, extra clothes so the kids stay warm, etc. He gets the kids in the car and says, "Let's go!" If he didn't then our time at the beach would be extra short.


Another example, I'm trying to get everything ready for our son's birthday party. I have a image of a clean house, perfect games, and wonderful food. Time is running out and our house is no where near perfectly clean so I'm starting to panic. I ask Kahana, "What is the most important things to get done before the party and how can we solve these problem areas?" He give me an answer and it makes sense. With his simple suggestions, I instantly feel less stressed and the party is a success!


I need Kahana in my life in so many ways. My life would be a lot harder alone and not completely full. Kahana makes me complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment