Sponsors

When two opposites meet, one wants noodles the other wants a sandwich. Put them together and you have a perfect meal.

E KOMO MAI and Be Happy


Memories in the Making

In April 2008, I read a personal experience of a mother named Ann S. Huefner, about nurturing children. This is just a portion of her experiences:

‘“I love camping,” six-year-old Sara said as we returned home from a one-night camping trip. When can we go again?”

I didn’t love camping. By the time my husband and I had prepared for every conceivable camping emergency, I was exhausted before we’d even left the house. Add to that the discomfort of sleeping bags, air mattresses, insects, and dirt—not to mention the hassle of keeping cold food cold and hot food hot, then another day of unpacking and washing when we got home—and I wondered, “Is one night away from home worth all this hassle?”

“Camping is no vacation for moms,” commiserated a friend. “I didn’t enjoy it at first. But my husband has so many wonderful memories of camping as a child that he really wanted our family to have that experience.”

One phrase from that conversation opened up my mind to the bright light of personal inspiration: “He has so many wonderful memories of his childhood.” I wasn’t just rearing children; I was preparing a future generation of parents—a generation that would need all the positive experiences I could give them to cope with an increasingly challenging world. Was it possible that children who have a happy childhood will be better parents?

The parenting puzzle of thousands of pieces came together into a whole picture for a moment. I couldn’t live my children’s lives for them, but I could give them a well of joyful memories from which they could draw throughout their lives.’ (“The Joy of Nurturing Children,” Ensign, Apr 2008, 34–39)

Have you ever thought about how important your childhood memories were? How important your children’s childhood memories will be? I honestly think that good family memories will not only make good future parents but good people in general. Our world needs more “good” people and “good” parents. I promise that the wonderful memories that you make with your children today will last years longer than those expensive toys and gadgets that we buy.

Take pictures of fun events and put them in an album for your children to look at. They’ll remember your activity even better. Our children love looking at our pictures we took at Hawaiian Waters Adventures Park. We’ve only gone twice in two years but with pictures they remember and always talk about how fun it was. Fun with Mommy and Daddy, fun with family equal wonderful memories for years to come. Remember making memories doesn’t have to cost a cent! Building something together out of cardboard boxes, painting/decorating them together, and then pictures of the final project will mean just as much or even more as going to the circus for a couple $100. Enjoy making memories with your beautiful children today. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment