Sponsors

When two opposites meet, one wants noodles the other wants a sandwich. Put them together and you have a perfect meal.

E KOMO MAI and Be Happy


Our First Fund Raiser: LAULAU!

I have been blessed with wonderful in-laws that love and support the children & I in any way they can.  When they first found out about my goal to take the children to Disneyland to make 2013 a better year for us, they were 100% supportive.  They wanted to help us fund raise by making laulau for us to sell.  

For those not familiar with Hawaii food, laulau is meat (we used pork butt sprinkled with sea salt) wrapped in taro leaves, then ti-leaves, covered in foil and steamed.  When cooked the taro leaves are like a spinach and the ti-leave is discarded, it is just added for the extra flavor.  I like to eat mine with rice.  Yum!

We decided to sell 5 laulau for $10.  So my in-laws made about 800 laulau!!!  Since they live on a different island, my father-in-law brought it up for us when he came for a family camp.  I paid for the pork butt & some of the other expenses (taro leaves, salt, gas, foil, ziplock bags) were paid for by the laulau sold on the Big Island.  But all the time put into making it, my in-laws did so so much!

While waiting for the laulaus to arrive, the children made signs and I made this to post on to my Facebook.  


From Facebook alone we got over 70 bags ordered!  I then made a few calls to people I knew would not be happy if they didn't know about us selling laulaus.  And then also put the children's sign on our door.  A plumber actually bought a bag and construction workers wanted some too but we were sold out.  Shucks!

Laulaus may NOT be the fund raiser for you in your area but something yummy you can make would be just as good a fund raiser for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment