Sponsors

When two opposites meet, one wants noodles the other wants a sandwich. Put them together and you have a perfect meal.

E KOMO MAI and Be Happy


My First TWO Tickets!

Today I took my kids to the zoo. As we were pulling out of the zoo parking lot, I see a police car just sitting there. I never panic because I got nothing to fear. My car is in great shape and I'm a good driver. So when the cop leaves the zoo right behind me, I think nothing of it but I still keep an eye on him through my mirror to see what he does. I wonder if he'll pull me over because I still haven't put our current registration sticker on yet. (The picture below is my old registration sticker that I still haven't covered up yet.)

Well, about two blocks later, Mr. Cop starts flashing his lights with no sound. I move from the left lane to the right, he follows me. Shucks, he wants ME to pull over! So I pull on the side of the road into two open parking stalls. I get out my current registration sticker to show him that I'm clear and okay. When he gets to the window, he does agree with me that I need to put on the current sticker but he then adds that my "safety check" has expired. "HUH?!" I'm almost positive that I already got it done. My mechanic is less than two blocks away I can verify it with him. I'm so so sure that I did it and wonder why I went to my mechanic it felt like, just a little while ago. So the police man says come and look at my sticker. This is what I see...


Today is January 6, 2009. The police officer explains to me that it says it expired in JULY of 2008!!! Holy cow that's almost 6 months over due! Okay, now I'm confused, what did I do the last time I went to the mechanics? So he lets me get back in the drivers seat to get my license, registration, and insurance card. My license and registration, easy...now where is that insurance card. I know we just got a new one in the mail, now where is the old one? I CAN'T FIND IT!!! I check in the glove compartment, I check in the container in the trunk. I still can't find it! I know I have insurance. I tell him my memory is horrible when I'm pregnant, I know I have insurance but forgot to put the newest card in our car and can't find the old one. He says okay, and goes back to his car. While he's writing up my ticket, I call my mechanic and find out I can't get a safety check until I got the insurance card with the car so I make an appointment for tomorrow.

After what feels like a LONG time, the policeman came back to our car with TWO tickets. He would have let me go with a warning but my safety check was way past due. I had to agree. So that ticket is going to cost $70! Yuck! Then he says, I believe you have your car insurance card at home so for this ticket, you just have to call your insurance and get a certificate that says you did have insurance at the time you received the ticket. I think he said I could mail it in, if not my court date is February 3rd. Junky!

Lesson learned? One, as soon as you get your new insurance card, put it in the car! Two, how to read a safety sticker and to check it once in a while.

Once my mind cleared, I realized that the last time I went to the mechanic was to change my oil and it was about a month too early to get my safety check at the same time. Then I got pregnant and my forgetfulness & irresponsibility symptoms took over (I'm about 5-6 months pregnant just like my expired safety sticker!) I also found my insurance card in a pile of papers that I need to do something with. As I think about it I got my new card over a month ago... The insurance card is in my car now. Wish me luck on not having to go to court! I'm also very grateful that I got a nice cop that didn't give me any attitude. Or maybe, if you are nice to a cop he'll be nice to you.

Soooo, if I notice an expired safety sticker, I will tell you BECAUSE I wish someone noticed mine!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Ruth. What the officer said is true. You just need proof that your insurance was current when you were cited. This means a letter or an affidavit and when you do get it, you can just mail it in so that you don't have to go to court. The downside is if it doesn't get there in time or it gets lost, you now have a benchwarrant for $500. Personally I would just go to court, to make sure it gets done in person and maybe you could get the safety check fine reduced or even dismissed since it is the first time. Oh yeah, if you read the registration paper in your compartment, you are not required to have the current sticker on the plate, just in your vehicle at all times so that you can show it to the officer in the event that he asks you for it. Well take care.

    Kawai

    ReplyDelete